10/6/10

Attempts Count

“Traditional evangelism is simply too hard for normal Christians.” – Jim Henderson

Evangelism, as it’s been presented to me for the last three and a half decades, seems to be mostly about being a “bold” extrovert. Does it make any sense that only certain human temperaments should be able to do what Christ commanded? Given the diversity within the Body of Christ, is that what we expect to see? Is that the Biblical witness?

I think the answer to all those questions is, “No.”

So what does it look like to share Jesus with people - for the normal Christian?

One of the lessons I took away from those traditional evangelistic training sessions was that I should “leave the results to God.” It seems to me that is right. So if the results are God’s thing, what’s my thing?

‘My thing’ is: attempts. I need to try, I need to make a start, I need to do what I can – and the rest is up to Jesus. That’s why I think attempts ‘count.’

What do you think? Are attempts "legitimate" evangelism?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,
You are all wet! You can't spell, or type, you are ugly, and you smell.

Love,
Jimmy Jones

Anonymous said...

Eric does not smell!!!

My attempt was towards a check-out clerk I've smiled at for a few months. Her name tag reads "Shilpa", and she appears to be an Indian lady of around 40ish, small and shy. I finally said, "How's it going?" and she said she was "fine". I commented that I had not seen her in a while and hoped everything was "all right?". She said yes and gave me a smile.

Barb Messelt